lundi 23 septembre 2013

"What's your creative process?" series - part 3: Annette Marie Folkmann Drost

For this third episode of the creative process series, I introduce to you Annette Marie Folkmann Drost. I met Annette in April during my small trip to Denmark. My good friend and me were kindly invited by Annette and her husband David to share a traditional danish roast dinner. I hadn't met Annette before, and was delighted by her charming personality and gorgeous presence, with an elegant mix of quirky sense of humour, shyness and similar teen-years musical references. Everywhere in the apartment, I saw signs of Annette and David's bubbling creativity: collages, paintings, drawings, musical instruments. It felt very cosy being there, flipping through Annette's sketch/painting book with a nice cup of tea. Since then I've been a keen admirer of just about everything she shares.






1 - How do you usually describe what you do?


The mouth of madness! I basically lose my mind nearly every time I make anything, from painting to knitting, even to baking. I cried over a cake that didn’t come out exactly as I had envisioned it would. That is how I am most of the time I do anything – I need it to be exactly how I hoped it would be, or I will unravel it, tear it up or throw it away. A lot of people use art as a vehicle to relieve stress; I use it to wallow in it. I am extremely competitive with certain things and I believe I compete with myself the most! To answer the question more directly, I have a myriad of interests, but what I focus on the most would be the knitting, crocheting, sculpting and painting. I like colours and textures, and I like things that are both playful and dark, at the same time.





2 - How and why did you start creating?

I just sort of fell into it. I would draw the characters from the cartoons I watched and the comics I read. My primary art teacher placed me in “gifted” art classes and urged me to compete in art competitions. I took art camps in the summer as a child, as well. I was offered a scholarship to an art college and an internship in a museum, to assist in curating women’s arts and crafts, but instead I ran away out of fear of the impending nervous breakdown that would most certainly befall me, if I had to “perform” and be creative so much of the time





3 - Could you describe the steps of your creative process?

It varies. Mostly, I have some mood or feeling that I want to express. Sometimes I have a specific composition in mind when I begin, and do little sketches and colour palette tests. Other times I start by choosing the colours that I think will best represent my state of mind and I just start going at it.




4 - Do you believe that what you do comes from yourself, or do you believe you are the vessel of another "something" that expresses itself through you?


I think a lot of my art comes from, or is coloured by, my subconscious. It is a playful and dark place. You can say that my art is a vessel for sides of my personality or my mind that I have trouble expressing in other ways.







5- Do you have habits concerning time, objects, location, when you are creating?


I don’t like clutter. Ever since I was a child, whenever I was creating something, my workspace had to be organized just so. If anything was close to my elbows, I would go nuts. Also, I used to obsessively wash my hands before I painted, because I worried that oils would cause the pen to slip from my hands. I tend to work best at night, but I make exceptions, to fit my creative work into my life where I have the opportunity.





6 - Does the "finished product" usually look like what you had imagined, or do you usually end up with something different than what you had in mind?

It never really looks exactly like it did in my head, and I always have to struggle to accept the way it has come out. Either I end up finding something interesting in the way it differs from my plan or I get frustrated and throw it out.







7 - How do you decide that a piece is finished?

I just go by gut feeling. It is difficult to get to that point, because there is always something that could be better about it, but you have to let go, at some point.



8 - How important is it for you to share your creation with others? how do you impact / interact with their comments, criticism, opinions?

It is not really important for me to have exposure, or to put my stuff “out there”. The few times I have participated in art shows have basically been because friends asked me. I don’t really think comments affect me much negatively or positively, because I do it for myself and not for anyone else. I am my own worst critic, already. I don’t know how good or bad I am, because I am never quite satisfied. Sometimes I think I am great. I’m changeable. Also, doing this interview is very hard, because I am not used to talking or thinking about my art in these terms! Thank you for being interested enough to ask, though!





9 - What is your relationship with your past creations?

Except for the golem that is hunting me down at every turn, most of them are pretty peaceful. Seriously, I am not sure. I give a lot of my stuff away. I keep a sci-fi collage I made in high school on my wall, because I really like it.





10 - What is the easiest and the most difficult part of creating for you?


The easiest part is giving things away and the hardest part is getting there.

1 commentaire:

Nit a dit…

I've started to read this series and they look so interesting! I'm going to spend a little while reading your interviews now XD